Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Prelude to an Exhibition of Indigenous Drawing

Here are some very brief sightbytes of our current two shows. We have been building up to Indigenous Drawing for over twenty five years but never felt the material had the critical mass it does now. It touches on everything we love about self taught artists and cultural homeground. It is about the art as an extension of oral culture. It is vital and everchanging and this show only touches the surface of what is and will be possible. The commentaries are off the cuff and by no means even part of the whole story. This is a very personal exhibition for the curators. I will add a few photographs of the artists here and there.

The Vernacular Buddha show is a gift from Lee and Vichai Chinalai who took me seriously when I first suggested it about three years ago. The photos cannot do justice to a room full of the powerful and evocative sculptures and paintings presented here.

I hope you enjoy this exhibition as much as we did pulling it together.

Randall Morris and Shari Cavin

No comments: